Monday, June 23, 2008

Book Review: Mademoiselle Boleyn

I purchased Mademoiselle Boleyn, by Robin Maxwell, back in December as a Christmas gift for the Mothership, who enjoyed The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory, and all the books that followed. Because this book looked similar in style, I figured she would enjoy it, and then I could borrow it. Well, the Mothership arrived at my house the other day with a bagful of books that I had given her, and I had my pick of what I wanted to read! This one had the prettiest cover, and I dug right in.

Mademoiselle Boleyn turned out to be another impeccably researched historical novel, and one that I think I place above all others regarding Anne Boleyn, because it comes from her point of view, and thus, is a little more charitable in it's opinions than some. The storyline starts when Anne is very young and at court in the Netherlands. Later, she is sent to court in France with her older sister Mary, who is ordered by her parents to seduce the French King Francois I. Later, Mary returns to England and is married to William Carey, and once again ordered by her family to seduce a King, this time Henry VIII. The book ends with Anne returning to her family in England, as England prepares to go to war with France.

I truly enjoyed this book, as I thought it was amazingly researched and well written, and as I mentioned previously, makes Anne Boleyn appear to be observant and quick witted, but never ruthless and cruel as so many portray her. I have a very hard time believing that Anne Boleyn could have been so terrible when her daughter grew up to be quite a sucessful Queen of England. Of all the books about Henry and his wives, I think this one would be the first I would recommend, as I loved watching Anne grow from a smart little girl into a very able young woman, despite her scheming family. And to put it to my most important test, I would definitely reread this one, probably soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment