Thursday, April 10, 2008

Hartz Scrunch 'n Punch and Nylabone Puppybone

Today the Grandmother and I went shopping at WalMart, mainly to pick up some rawhide donuts for Woody. While perusing the pet department, I came across some toys I thought looked like fun for the puppies and cats.

Hartz Scrunch 'n Punch
I really thought this one was going to be a winner. Henry and Ruthie have been putting on a bit of weight, and the picture made it look like it was big enough for them both to play with and get a bit of much needed exercise. But either the kitten featured on the packaging was some mutant miniature kitten that would fit in a teacup or my cats are mutant gigantor cats from outerspace, because the proportions were a bit out of whack.

Exhibit A: Mutant miniature kitten
Exhibit B: Ruthie and Henry

Exhibit C: Ruthie, the 6-pound-but-apparently-ginormous-to-Hartz cat

However, the size was not the issue with this particular cat toy, since both Henry and Ruthie (and dog-friend Woody) seem interested in playing with it. The problem is the toy's inability to stand up. It just sadly lolls over to the side, and the Knockem Out Fun is minimal because of this. Henry and Ruthie gave up about 3 minutes in.

Bottom line: I wasted $5.84 on a toy they will never play with, when I could have invested $1 on 6 jingle balls that would last a year.


Nylabone Puppybone
This was actually a teething bone that the puppies have had before, originally from PetCo for $4.99. Today while I was in WalMart, I found it for $1.98. Naturally, I'm saddened by the blatant overcharging at my newest favorite store. But onto the info on the toy - it's a chicken flavored inedible bone especially made for teething puppies.

The first few we had lasted a few days, and Izzy and Emma loved them! The two purchased today lasted approximately 15 minutes, so I guess my babies have developed into the "strong chewers" that Nylabone warns you about on the back of the packaging. Nylabone also recommends not using this in puppies with any adult teeth, which required me to Google what age puppies get their adult teeth at (around 5 to 6 months, apparently). This particular bone is only available in small size, so in a few weeks, my puppies would have outgrown it anyhow, regardless of their natural chewing ability.

"Isn't this chicken just the best flavor, Izzy?"

Bottom line: Seemed to be enjoyable to Izzy and Emma, but if you have experienced chewers like Izzy and Emma have rapidly become, pay the extra cash for a Kong, since even the $1.98 at WalMart is a little pricey for 15 minutes of chewtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment