Sunday, April 20, 2008

Aldi's Deck Furniture

I have to say, I am a very recent Aldi's convert. Before the Grandmother came to stay with me, I was strictly a Tops and Wegmans shopper, but she has broadened my horizons to the sterile and inexpensive yet amazing and environmentally friendly grocery experience of Aldis. While on one of our shopping sprees, I found some deck furniture that I decided I had to have. However, once I saw the flat box, I was a little dismayed. Yes, it was only $99, but I was required to assemble it all. I was undaunted, however, being reminded by the Mothership that I have built entertainment centers, bookshelves, dressers, and have even mastered that which still befuddles my other family members: the collapsible dog crate. Because the weather was unseasonably warm we (me, the Mothership, the Grandmother, Woody, Izzy, and Emma) all repaired to the shady front porch, and I commenced assembling the lawn furniture. About 5 minutes in, I realized that I was a little over my head. Not because the directions were too hard to understand, or because I am a complete idiot. Oh no, it was because the fabric pieces that the seats were made out of were too small. As in so small that I was required to stretch the fabric about 3 inches wider for it to attach to each side of the frame. I would just like to note that this step was nowhere in the directions, so I'm not sure how other Aldi's shoppers less...creative...than myself fared. But I persevered, and lo and behold, two hours later, I was able to sit on my deck, enjoying a nice cool lemonade made by the Grandmother to celebrate this grand occasion!
You'll have to decide for yourself whether this particular lawn set is worth $99 and (quite) a bit of your time. Looking back, with the memory of my mental anguish fading, the possibility of future gatherings with a margarita in hand seem to outweigh the pain I experienced putting this together:)

No comments:

Post a Comment