Monday, October 13, 2008

Movie Night: Akeelah and the Bee

I've been wanting to see Akeelah and the Bee ever since I discovered it on a preview for another movie. So I was happy when it showed up with my Netflix movies!

Akeelah is a girl growing up in a bad part of Los Angeles, who is enrolled in a very underfunded public school. She has a talent for spelling, so her teachers and principal encourage her to take part in spelling bees, with the ultimate goal of being in the Scripps National Spelling Bee. It's a very sweet movie about friends and family and overcoming obstacles. It's actually very similar to a sports movie, which is probably part of the reason I loved it so much. All of the actors in it were amazing...it was almost like watching a documentary, they were so real.

Definitely worth watching. I think I'll suggest this one to the Mothership and the Grandmother, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment