Monday, August 30, 2010

Movie Night: Tara Road

I added Tara Road to my Netflix queue with a bit of hesitation, as Circle of Friends by Maeve Binchy is one of my favorite books, and the movie adaptation of that novel changed the story in a way that I didn't appreciate. But despite my nervousness that Hollywood might "ruin" another book I had enjoyed, I figured I was probably safe, because I read Tara Road quite a while ago, and couldn't remember all the specifics. Which is really the best way to watch a movie adaptation of a novel...that way you aren't picking the movie apart based on the book, and you can really sit back and enjoy it.

And actually, at this point, I can't even tell you how closely the movie followed the book. I remember Ria (an Irish woman who discovers her husband has a pregnant girlfriend) swapping houses with an American woman, and that is about it. In the movie, the American turns out to be Marilyn, who decides to swap houses after her son is killed in a horrific accident.

There really isn't much for me to say about this movie, except I really enjoyed it. It was beautiful to watch, it made me cry several times, and I liked the new movie ending better than the book. I always love seeing what life is like in other countries (probably why I love reading Maeve Binchy books so much!) and Tara Road (both book and movie) was doubly interesting because you get to see how an American sees Ireland, and how an Irish person takes in the United States. So, in all, I would recommend it...and is anyone interested in swapping houses with me? =)

No comments:

Post a Comment