Friday, August 13, 2010

Book Review: Oryx and Crake

Margaret Atwood is by far my favorite contemporary writer. She wrote my favorite book of all time, The Blind Assassin, and I have genuinely enjoyed every Atwood novel that I've read. She writes poetry as well, but considering I dislike poetry in general and I don't want to ruin our author-reader relationship, I'm just going to stick with her prose for now.
Oryx and Crake is a bit different from The Blind Assassin, which was set in the past and could definitely have been a true story. Oryx and Crake is more like her novel The Handmaid's Tale, only instead of crazy religious people shooting up Congress and taking over the US, genetic engineering ends up wiping out a good part of society. I know that sounds awful, but it is really is an amazing book, right along the lines of 1984 or Brave New World, which both could happen, but you hope that it doesn't go down in your lifetime.

As always with Atwood, Oryx and Crake is so well written that I couldn't put it down, and will definitely be reading it again. I know I say that about a lot of books, which could either mean I don't have very discerning taste, or I am just really good at picking out books I know I'm going to like. But my true test of a good book would be recommending it to my friends, and Oryx and Crake definitely passes.

No comments:

Post a Comment