Sunday, October 10, 2010

Public Service Announcement

WASH YOUR HANDS!

I was recently hospitalized for a severe asthma exacerbation due to pneumonia, which would be easily stopped if everyone could follow the CDC's recommendations concerning hand washing and the spread of disease. It seems that what is taught as a general rule to kids in preschool ("This is the way we wash our hands, wash our hands, wash our hands...") is very easily disregarded by adults.

Some general rules regarding good hygiene that you should have learned by age 5:
  • If your hands are soiled, wash them.
  • Cough/sneeze into a tissue or your elbow, never into your hand. If you cough/sneeze into your hand, and then don't wash it, you are gross. End of story.
  • Wash your hands before and AFTER you eat. People usually wash their hands to get others' germs off before eating, but don't forget to get your own germs off your hands after eating and before interacting with others.
  • If you are sick, stay home. There is no need to infect the general population with your cooties. Remember, some of us can't fight off infection as easily as others.
  • When in doubt, use hand sanitizer. It's good stuff, I promise. Avon makes a tasty smelling peach concoction that I highly recommend
So now you have Sarah's general rules for good hygiene. Please don't make me sick again. After my near-death experience, I've realized that a large part of the general population have no idea about the spread of disease and good hygiene. Consider yourselves educated. And keep in mind that if you ever cough or sneeze in my face again, it's only my good manners keeping me from slapping you. There are some things that I don't like to share!

No comments:

Post a Comment