Thursday, May 21, 2009

Colorado Adventure - Day Two

Today started out with a nice little continental breakfast courtesy of Best Western Annawan.

Not bad for a free breakfast!

We tried the raisin bread, bagels with cream cheese, and orange juice. The Mothership also tried a hardboiled egg. I was not so bold, as I didn't want to disrupt our trip with an episode of gastrointestinal distress. Our stomachs filled, we continued on toward Iowa, enjoying the beautiful weather! Our first excitement of the day was crossing the Mississippi into Iowa, followed closely by our first Cracker Barrel sighting of the day. Sadly, it was much to early to enjoy macaroni and cheese.

Iowa was especially notable for having awesome rest stops, and giving away free maps.

Me and the World's Best Rest Stop Ever!

Other than that, not too much happened until we hit Des Moines and I glimpsed a gleaming SuperTarget sign in the distance. Celeste, our handy navi system was not pleased by the sudden departure from our chose route, but how could I pass up the first SuperTarget I'd ever seen?

The Mothership, definitely expecting more!

Let me tell you, it did not disappoint. In fact, it has to be the best Target experience I've had:

there was fresh produce...
bulk Jelly Bellies...
and 24 checkouts!

I am desperate to work in a SuperTarget. I think I could actually live in SuperTarget with very little trouble! I wonder if the Targets in Hawaii are Super? On a side note, the people of Iowa are friendly, bright, and have great taste even at a very early age - a six-year-old girl complimented me on my cute green shoes!

She was so right...

After a bit of trial and error with Celeste, our trip continued with one specific destination in mind: Cracker Barrel. Celeste found one for us in Council Bluff, Iowa.

Chicken tenders, cole slaw, biscuts, macaroni and cheese, and cinnamon apples...Cracker Barrel feeds you really well...I couldn't finish it all!

A little jealous of the Mothership's BLT salad...

Once back on the road, the Missouri river was right there, and we crossed into Omaha, Nebraska. Two super nice gentlemen at the visitor center gave us another free map, and told us that if we were going to Chimney Rock, we should stop at the Archway Museum in Kearny first, so we changed our plans to stop in Kearny for the night.

Omaha was beautiful and friendly. I think I would enjoy staying there, especially to see the zoo/desert habitat/IMAX theater/butterfly compound. It looked pretty awesome from the road! I'm definitely adding Omaha to my list of potential homes. A plus over Hawaii is the ease of Izzy and Emma moving with me.

Downside: six lane highway. Ugh.

We arrived in Kearny at about 6:30pm. Our internet didn't work, which makes me sad. But we get free breakfast tomorrow, which makes Mom happy.

Dinner was average at Long John Silvers.

Unless you count getting a hush puppy that looks like Arthur the Aardvark as more than average...I think it's just kind of weird.

Because I mistook the size of Kearny, we didn't find a Sonic until we were heading for Target.
Darn it.

But fear not, I will have some Chili Tot things that Tracy told me to try, along with her favorite strawberry lemonade, even if it means developing an ulcer!


Our day ended on a sour note, when I realized that I forgot to pack the charger for my Nikon. Looks like it might just be me and my little Cybershot for the duration. Unless we can find a Best Buy...

No comments:

Post a Comment