Friday, June 18, 2010

Book Review: Night

Night by Elie Wiesel has been on my reading list for quite a while. There is so much to say about this book, that I don't really know where to start. It was:
  • horrifying
  • tragic
  • thought-provoking
  • devastating
  • unforgettable
I have read many books about the Holocaust. Some were children's fiction, some were journals, some were novels, and some were based on interviews with survivors. None that I have read were written so simply, or so mesmerizing as Night. Elie Wiesel wrote this book in Yiddish, years after his release from a concentration camp. You would think that it would not be such a smooth read, but the translation is amazing. While reading it, you feel as if you are observing everything he describes, and it is terrifying. For someone to have survived, and then shared such an experience is amazing. I doubt that there is anything further I can say that has not already been said by someone else, and better, but I can believe that if everyone had to read this book and imagine themselves or their family experiencing such horror, perhaps there could be an end to such cruelty and inhumanity. Then again, perhaps not.

(Night available from target.com for $8.45 on June 18, 2010)

**Full disclosure: I work for Target as a pharmacist, so I purchase almost everything there, which is why most products have a link to Target instead of Walgreens or Borders, etc. I always link to the merchandiser where I purchase the item, so please don't think I am advertising for Target. It is just cheaper and more convenient for me to shop there! I do not profit from this blog in any way, other than enjoying writing it.**

No comments:

Post a Comment