Sunday, January 27, 2013

The Big Read: Top 21

It's no secret that I love the 43things website.  I think it's a really positive site and a great place to keep track of personal goals.  I always like to take a few minutes to cheer other users' goals, and use the opportunity to look for things I've never heard of before.  Today I found "Complete The Big Read" and immediately adopted it for my own list of goals.

The Big Read is a list of UK's "Most-Loved Books" that was compiled by the BBC in 2003 after several months of voting by viewers.  What I love about this list of 200 books is that they range from classic to contemporary, and from low- to high-brow choices.  So I decided to challenge myself to read the top 21 books from this list:

1. The Lord of the Rings, JRR Tolkien
2. Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen  
3. His Dark Materials, Philip Pullman
4. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams
5. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, JK Rowling
6. To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee  
7. Winnie the Pooh, AA Milne
8. Nineteen Eighty-Four, George Orwell  
9. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, CS Lewis
10. Jane Eyre, Charlotte Brontë
11. Catch-22, Joseph Heller
12. Wuthering Heights, Emily Brontë
13. Birdsong, Sebastian Faulks  
14. Rebecca, Daphne du Maurier  
15. The Catcher in the Rye, JD Salinger  
16. The Wind in the Willows, Kenneth Grahame  
17. Great Expectations, Charles Dickens
18. Little Women, Louisa May Alcott  
19. Captain Corelli's Mandolin, Louis de Bernieres
20. War and Peace, Leo Tolstoy
21. Gone with the Wind, Margaret Mitchell

I'm pretty excited to see that I've already read about 10 on the list.  I say "about" because there are at least four that I know I've started but can't remember finishing.   Worst case scenario, there are 11 left to read and 11 months left in 2013.  Absolutely an attainable goal!

2 comments:

  1. Are you going to blog about these books? I hope you do the ones you've crossed off. I know your thoughts on LOTR and think that would be a pretty funny blog. Think about a series reviewing all the classics because you're the only person I know that actually reads those for fun. Please?!?!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about rereading the books that I have already read from the list, but I'm not sure I could read The Lord of the Rings again. That was a struggle the first time around. Even the movies were a struggle for me! The other books that I've already finished from this list are still among my favorite books of all time, so those would be a pleasure to read again and review. But trying to reread LOTR might actually kill me, and any comments I could make about it at this point would probably set fans of the series after me with whatever weapons are available in Middle Earth. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete